News‎ > ‎

Piarsaigh’s powerful rally proves decisive

posted May 14, 2013, 1:49 PM by Kiskeam Area   [ updated May 21, 2013, 8:38 AM ]

Na Piarsaigh 2-17 Kiskeam 2-10 (AET) 

Fourteen-man Na Piarsaigh came good in the latter stages of yesterday’s intense battle for supremacy with Kiskeam to snatch a deserved Cork Premier Intermediate Football Championship victory against the odds.

Na Piarsaigh looked destined to have to go through the backdoor route as they trailed by five points with just four minutes of normal time remaining. 

Suddenly, they found new reserves of energy and a couple of quick-fire points and a brilliant 58th minute goal from Steve Glasgow, with the all important perfect cross from Niall Cronin, put them back on level terms. 

Even then, Kiskeam struck back to take the lead with a Billy Dennehy point and it took an injury-time score from Alan Hogan to push this delicately balanced game into extra-time. 

For much of the opening 60 minutes there was little between the sides, even if Na Piarsaigh had fallen away to allow the west Cork side power into a five point lead, 2-9 to 0-10 after a nip and tuck first-half that left the city team a point to the good at the break, 1-3 to 0-7. 

There were significant scoring contributions from Kiskeam’s Billy Dennehy and from both Steve Glasgow and John Gardiner for Na Piarsaigh. 

It all added up to a great battle but Kiskeam generally played the more constructive football for a good period of the second half with Michael Casey the standout player on view. 

Many teams might have thrown in the towel as the minutes ticked away, but it was Kiskeam who panicked instead and they allowed Na Piarsaigh come with that late rally by falling back in defence. It was to cost them dearly. 

The extra 20 minutes proved to be a bridge too far for Kiskeam, although Na Piarsaigh could still only muster one point in the first half of extra-time, the score coming from Glasgow courtesy of a free. 

The dismissal of Hogan for a second yellow card offence could have been costly for Na Piarsaigh, but if anything they rallied as a result. 

Gardiner and Gould each pointed to put a goal between the sides and with three minutes remaining, Sean Óg Ó hAilpín sent Cian O’Mahony away to crash home a goal that settled the issue. Gardiner had the last say with a pointed free and Kiskeam were left to rue their inability to protect that normal time lead. 

Scorers for Na Piarsaigh: S Glasgow 1-4 (0-3 from frees), C O’Mahony 1-2, J Gardiner 0-7 (0-3 from frees), A Hogan 0-3, P Gould 0-1. 

Scorers for Kiskeam: B Dennehy 1-6 (0-4 from frees), N Cronin 1-1, M Herlihy, A J O’Connor, G Casey 0-1 each. 

NA PIARSAIGH: J O’Connor, C Hourigan, E McCarthy, E Moynihan, T Lawton, P Rourke, A Brady, S Óg Ó hAilpín, J Gardiner, G Joyce, S Glasgow, C O’Mahony, P. Cumming, A Keating, A Hogan,. 

Subs: K Buckley for Joyce (55), P Gould for Keating (70), C Lynch for Glasgow (73). 

KISKEAM: B Daly, S Linehan, J Dennehy, D J Casey, AJ O’Connor, D Linehan, P Cronin, M Casey, E O’Mahony, D Fitzgerald, M Herlihy, R Carroll, G Casey, B Dennehy, N Cronin. 

Subs: J McAuliffe for Linehan, T O’Sullivan for Carroll (both 63). 

Referee: J O’Leary (Mallow).

(Taken From The Irish Examiner)